The Tilden/Laine House

Tilden/Laine house

Elizabeth Street is a lonely street now, but it was once the home to many more Victorian homes. This is the only one that remains from the golden years. It was built in 1887 by Susan Ortley Tilden.

It's interesting to compare the two photos. On the Then house, there were: a widow's walk on top, the pump house was right by the house, a chimney on the upper left; a railing on the second floor, an awning over the front door, a double front door, a front hedge, and what is this!? Ms. Tilden is still standing on the steps!

Blimp

Thank heaven for Photoshop or we'd have had to wait years for a blimp to fly overhead.

Prev page
Back to Alviso Then and Now home page
Next page